Gum disease is a common and often neglected problem. It’s easy to ignore the signs of gum disease, but you shouldn’t. That’s because gum disease can easily progress to periodontal disease, which can cause you to lose teeth. Dr. John Fay at Fay Dental Care in Green Bay, WI wants to share the facts about gum and periodontal disease and what you can do about it.
One of the first signs of gum disease is bleeding gums when you brush your teeth. A little bit of bleeding is an easy thing to ignore, but bleeding is an important first sign of disease. Bleeding is just one sign of gum disease; other signs and symptoms of gum disease you may notice include:
- Swelling and puffiness in your gums
- Irritation and redness in your gums
- Pain when you eat, brush or floss
- Frequent bad breath and a sour taste
Gum disease, or gingivitis, is caused by the bacteria in the plaque that clings to your teeth. Plaque contains millions of disease-causing bacteria. If the plaque is not removed by regular brushing and flossing, it produces toxic by-products that begin to destroy the soft tissues (gums) and the hard tissues (bones, teeth) in your mouth.
The good news is gum disease is completely reversible by practicing excellent oral hygiene habits. Remember to:
- Brush with a soft toothbrush after each meal and before you go to bed
- Floss using waxed or unwaxed floss or floss picks every day
- Visit Dr. Fay yearly for a complete dental exam including x-rays
- Visit your dental hygienist at least twice each year for a professional cleaning
Untreated gum disease and poor, irregular oral hygiene habits can result in periodontal disease, a condition which involves the supporting bone around your teeth. Unfortunately, periodontal disease cannot be cured. Periodontal disease requires more aggressive treatment by your dentist and hygienist to keep it from getting worse.
Don’t ignore the signs of gum disease. Get started down the road to good oral health by calling Dr. Fay at Fay Dental Care in Green Bay, WI. Don’t wait for your gum disease to get worse, call today!